102 F
Fort Smith
Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Bulldogs Handle Bombers

- Advertisement -spot_img

The Greenwood Bulldogs take a business trip to northern Arkansas and come home victorious.

The Bulldogs received the ball to start the game and wasted no time establishing their up-tempo dominance. Sr. Bulldog Hunter Wilkinson would break off several large runs on the opening drive. These strong runs up the middle would set up a screen pass to Greenwood’s Luke Brewer for a large gain down the right side. The Bulldogs would score two plays later on a QB option to the left by LD Richmond for a 2-yard touchdown run. With over 9 minutes left in the first quarter the Bulldogs would lead 7-0 over Mountain Home.

Less than 3 minutes would click off the clock before the Bulldogs would find the end zone again. After an impressive stand by the Bulldog defense, Sr. L.D. Richmond would find fellow Sr. Hunter Wilkinson on a go route up the middle for a 33-yard touchdown.

On the next Bulldog possession they found themselves in a 3rd and very long from their own 11 yard line. Richmond would find Sr. receiver Peyton Carter on a crossing route that looked like it would be for minimal gain but Carter shed a tackle and picked up amazing blocks from Wilkinson and Sr. Caden Brown on the sideline that allowed the speedy receiver to flash down the sideline for a 25-yard gain. Caden Brown would be immediately rewarded for his efforts when he hauls in a 63-yard touchdown pass from Richmond on the next snap. Brown completely out ran his defender to get open and then showed his yards-after-catch ability by pulling away on his way to the end zone. With just over 3:00 minutes left in the 1st quarter, the Bulldogs go up 20-0.

On their fourth possession of the game the Bulldogs were not looking to let off the gas. After a strong 4th down stand by the defense, the speedy Bulldog offense would need only 5 plays to move down the field and score on an 18-yard touchdown run by Hunter Wilkinson. After the extra point by Sr. Angel Hernandez, Greenwood would go up 27-0 with 10:53 left in the 2nd quarter.

With just over 9 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, the Bulldog defense would eliminate any idea of a Mountain Home drive when they forced a fumble and returned it to the Bomber 30-yard line. Richmond would score his second rushing touchdown of the night on a designed quarterback run up the middle for a 1-yard score. With 7:36 left in the 1st half, the Bulldogs would lead 33-0 after trying for a 2-point conversion.

Luke Brewer is fast. In case anybody doubted that statement, with just over 4 minutes left in the half, Brewer would take a screen pass from Richmond and just leave all defenders behind on his way to a 52-yard touchdown. Just as impressive was the execution by the entire offense on the play. Sr. receiver Peyton Carter would lock down his defender with a skillful pass block and the offensive line were exactly where they needed to be. Sr. center Ethan Cole would seal off the final defender with an impressive downfield block and allow Brewer to remain untouched all the way to the end zone.

The Bombers would put one touchdown on the board in the second half but that would be all the points scored for the remainder of the game. The Bulldogs did enough in the first half to coast to a 40-7 victory over Mountain Home.

Greenwood moves to 4-0 on the season and is scheduled to travel to Siloam Springs next week to take on the Panthers who currently site at 3-2.

- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img
Resident News Networkhttps://residentnewsnetwork.com
Locally owned, locally focused news + sports source for the Arkansas River Valley.
Latest news
- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
Related news
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img