Did you know hot chocolate is super easy to make homemade? Am I the last person to figure this out? When I got ready to share this recipe I did a quick google to see what determines if it’s hot chocolate vs hot cocoa and I learned they are different things. Hot chocolate includes melted chocolate and hot cocoa is made from dried powder
Everyone else probably already knew the difference in that too, but I’m out here sharing information anyway. My husband and oldest son both said it was the best hot chocolate they have ever drank, maybe because it’s the first time they have had actual hot chocolate since every other time I’ve used a powder mix. Either way, it’s super easy and allowed me to satisfy the oldest kid’s request without having to buy Swiss Miss.
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup semi sweet or bitter sweet chocolate bar chopped/chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place milk, cocoa powder, and sugar into a sauce pan. Stir until hot but not boiling.
- Add in chocolate and stir continuously until melted. Add vanilla extract, stir, and serve immediately.
- Serve with mini marshmallows or whipped cream. We jazzed ours up with mini chocolate chips and dye free sprinkles!