Each municipality has their own ordinances in place regarding fireworks. We have compiled a list regulations set forth in our area.
- Waldron – July 4 allowed unless PD is called for nuisance
- Huntington – July 1-10
- Greenwood – July 3, 4, 5, until Midnight
- Lavaca – July 4, until 11 p.m.
- Bonanza – July 1-5, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Hackett – July 4, 8 a.m. -11 p.m.
- Hartford – July 1-4, until midnight
- Mansfield – July 3, 4, 5, until 11:59 p.m.
- Central City – NO ORDINANCE
- Booneville – July 4, 11 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. Excludes downtown area between 1st Street on the south to 5th Street on the north, Kennedy Avenue on the west and McCandless Avenue on the east (a square block from the library to the post office and First Baptist to Casey’s building).
- Paris – NOT ALLOWED IN THE CITY LIMITS
- Magazine – July 1-5, 8 a.m. – 11 p.m – bottle rockets prohibited except for the Fourth of July
In addition to obeying the laws set forth by the city, remember to be safe this Fourth of July. First, by making sure a responsible adult supervises all firework activities. This person should be aware of the type of fireworks they are using and follow the cautionary labels. Children should never be allowed to ignite fireworks, they should always be supervised by an adult. Alcohol and fireworks do not mix, it impairs your judgement. Lastly, make sure you put out spent or even “dud” fireworks. It’s recommended that you have buckets of water or water hose on hand as a precautionary measure. Multiple injuries occur each year due to firework accidents.
Pets, let’s not forget the safety of our pets! It’s not a good idea to bring pets to community fireworks events. If you are setting them off at home, be sure your pet is inside and in a safe area. Remember they can hear amplified sounds, and it can be terrifying to pets. Make sure your pet has an I.D. tag in case they run away. Shelters always see an influx in intake animals following the holiday.
We at Resident News wish you a happy and safe Independence Day. A special thanks to all our service men and women who make this day possible!